Wow, it’s been one whole year today that I’ve been writing this here little blog. I’m so happy that I am still at it. It started out a bit rocky, but I think I’ve got the swing of it now!
To celebrate my blogiversary and to thank you all for dropping by, reading, replying, and generally being very nice to me, I would like to treat one of you lovely folks to a little surprise present, handmade by myself of course! I’m not exactly sure what it will be yet, but I promise it will be special and fun and unique.
So, if you would like to be entered in my anniversary raffle, please leave a comment on this post. Tell me what you like about freeplaycraft or what you would like to see more of, or something that made you smile today! I will even give you a whole week to get your comment in before I randomly select one lucky winner next friday, October 31st (halloween!). Don’t be shy if you’ve never left a comment before, everyone is welcome to participate. And I will be happy to ship anywhere so don’t let that stop you either!
I’m also going to try out a little exercise here inspired by a great long conversation I had with my best bud Rikki tonight, which is to celebrate my accomplishments by making a little list here of the things I have done in the last year that I am proud of. I have a tendency, that I think is pretty common, to only see my “deficiencies” rather than my successes, to only see the work that still needs to still be done rather than recognize and praise myself for the good work I have achieved. It is a hard habit to get over, but here goes…
1. I have kept up my portfolio on flickr and have added lots of new work to it, and feel really happy with that record of my work
2. I have been doing some volunteering with organizations that I think do good work
3. I’ve gotten involved with the theater again and applied some of my design skills to the stage, after dreaming about doing that for many years (I have comps to go see the play tonight and see my props in action, yay!)
4. I have found work with a design company that I respect and enjoy, and have found a way of making a (so far scant, but still!) living from the skills that I have, doing work that I enjoy
5. I have prioritized creativity in my life, and made time and space to honouring that pursuit, and I feel richer and clearer for it
6. I have had some success bartering, and created valuable and meaningful networks this way
7. I have vastly improved my sewing and design skills
8. I am doing freelance design work and actually making a go of it!
9. I have worked on improving my confidence and out-goingness, and it’s working!
10. I’ve started up a craft group, and it seems to be going well!
11. I’ve had photos of my work published in three different magazines!
11. I have stuck with my goal of keeping this blog, and it has blossomed and grown and delights me so!
Really, I think a lot of the things on this list that I am proud of either directly or indirectly are due to the practice of writing this blog. It keeps me focused and centered and energized, and your feedback and replies keep me going when things get rough around the edges. I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to explore all these thoughts and have you read and listen and care. Seriously. It’s really nice.
Thank you for being a part of it.