For a wee refreshing break from Art Show Planning, here is a list of things I’ve enjoyed this week:
- Milk: a film by Gus Van Sant. The story of Harvey Milk, and his struggles as an American gay activist who fought for gay rights and became California’s first openly gay elected official. I cried like a baby.
- El Laberinto del Fauno, aka Pan’s Labyrinth: A freaky cool film set in the fascist Spain of 1944, where the bookish young stepdaughter of a sadistic army officer escapes into an eerie but captivating fantasy world. Dark and enthralling and beautiful. It’s nice to see fantasy with a dangerous edge, rather than it being all disney rainbows and sugary fairies.
- tie-dying my wool socks. We used the leftover pysanky dye from dyeing easter eggs in the spring. Yes, I do keep jars of dye for months at a time, what of it? Tie dyed socks make every day better.
- Local sweet cherries: I actually shrieked when I saw them at the market. And then I ate them all in one sitting. Yum.
- President’s Choice brand ginger beer: It’s actually really gingery! I like it best with a little club soda to dilute its sweetness.
- Random explosion salads. It’s what summer eating is all about!
- this K’naan & Tracy Chapman mash-up:
What have you been enjoying lately?